Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Memories of Mahj...

Look Of The Day [May 13/2008] 2

When I was a little girl, I discovered my grandmother's Mahjong Set in her closet. It was in a special rosewood box, and when I flipped open the lid, there were dozens of shiny Bakelite tiles with foreign symbols on them. I was enchanted. I never saw her play "Mahj with the Girls" (referring to her 70-something friends), so I have no clue how the game works, but I remember those tiles. A few years ago, I saw one of those antique roadshow things, where they did a whole segment on Bakelite, the first form of plastic, and talked about how rare and treasure it was becoming. They showed a really cute bracelet made of coloured tiles, similar to my grandmother's, and I wanted one. I never did get one, but imagine my delight when I got a FashCon notice yesterday from ~*Fresh Baked Goods*~, and they had released a bracelet just like the one I had been dreaming of! I previously posted about the Retrology Rose Hunt, where the gals at ~*FBG*~ hid a rose with one of these in it, and I loved that one too, but this version is fully scripted with 12 tile colour options and 5 spacer bead options. It has the delicious name of Mahjong Bakelite Mooncake Bracelet and it is my new favorite thing. What is Phil's place for if not to have the things we have dreamt of in RL?

I had been waiting for a chance to wear this fabulous ~Ivalde~ Gauthildr Dress in this Yellow and black combination, and I clicked my bracelets to choose yellow tiles and black spacer beads. What an awesome match! The dress is a great muted yellow, and has a really nice retro feel to it. I tossed on a great chunky bead necklace from Decollage, the Bubblegum Pearl Necklace is tintable, but I often wear it black. I slipped into my favorite go-to shoes, the Maitreya ChiChi in Black, and I tinted the rims to Yellow.

Look Of The Day [May 13/2008] 1

To carry on the Retro feel I had going, I went with a favorite wig from Old Gravy, the Cash in Black. I love the messy back-combed crown, and the colour change scripted flowers mean I can match it to pretty much anything I want. I am not sure if this style is for sale yet at the newly re-opened OG, but maybe sometime soon it will be. I wanted my favorite red-lipped rockabilly chicky make-up, and it has to be the Canimal Essence Pinup skin in the Grace tone. Eyes and lashes are favorites from [Detour]. Now I think I may go read up a bit about what the game of Mahjong is all about.

Shopping Information:
Eyes – [Detour], Delta Eyes (Hazel)
Lashes – [Detour], Love Lashes
Hair – Old Gravy, Cash (Black)
Skin – Canimal, Essence of (Grace)… PinUp
Dress - ~Ivalde~, Gauthildr Yellow Dress
Necklace – Decollage, Bubblegum Pearls (Tinted Black)
Bracelets - ~*Fresh Baked Goods*~, Mahjong Bakelite Mooncake Bracelet (Colour Scripted Tile/Bead Colors)
Ring - Caroline’s, Gimcrack Diamond Solitaire
Shoes – Maitreya, ChiChi Pumps (Black, Rim To Yellow)

No comments: